Avoid These Mistakes People Make Following an Accident!
#1: Not consulting with a personal injury lawyer
I believe that the insurance companies make a conscious effort to promote the view that by consulting with a lawyer you have become, “One of those people who sue.”
The image created is that you are attempting to “bilk the system for cash,” and it suggests that your injuries are faked. This image is contrary to the thinking of hard working honest people.
I always explain to potential clients that a good lawyer has no motivation to file false claims with the insurance companies. Frivolous claims taint the reputation of the lawyer and the firm.
Please remember this, if you are experiencing pain following a car accident, then your claim is legitimate and you may be entitled to a settlement.
Avoid this common mistake and always take advantage of a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer!
#2: Waiting too long before you hire a personal injury lawyer
The period immediately following an accident is not a time to delay. There is no doubt that the law is filled with land mines that could dramatically affect your case. The sooner you have the right personal injury lawyer, the better.
Consider the following:
• The police report may contain mistakes that need to be corrected immediately
• Critical witnesses may be hard to find later
• Photos of the accident scene and your injuries need to be taken
• You need the proper medical treatment in order to document your injuries
• You start to lose credibility when the insurance company can ask “Why did you wait so long?”
If you wait too long, you can seriously impact the amount of your settlement.
Avoid this common mistake and consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as you finish reading this!
#3: Not hiring a lawyer who concentrates on personal injury
Why is this important? The truth is experience and training vary greatly from lawyer to lawyer and from law firm to law firm.
Let me give you an example. A friend of mine recently had surgery for a total hip replacement. His doctor was an Orthopedic Surgeon who only did this type of surgery. In fact, he did at least ten of them per week. How could a patient resist this type of experience?
This trend toward concentration is also occurring in the practice of law. For that reason, if you are injured, you need a lawyer who concentrates in personal injury law.
The benefits of hiring a personal injury lawyer are:
• Lawyers who focus on a particular area of law have a passion for what they do
and perform their work with enthusiasm. This is a recipe for a successful settlement.
• These lawyers are “in the loop” with the insurance companies, fellow lawyers and doctors who know and respect them as professionals who really know what they are doing
• Lawyers who concentrate in personal injury law have the time and desire to learn more about this area of law. This can include taking continuing legal education classes to keep up with changes in the law and to become better and more efficient at what they do.
• A lawyer that concentrates in personal injury law has more focused experience and can often settle your case without the need to go to court.
Avoid this common mistake and only consult with a lawyer that concentrates in personal injury!