24/7 Live Call Answering
New Clients: (888) 329-0805

Why Should You Hire a Lawyer After a Car Accident in New Jersey

At the Law Offices of David A. DiBrigida, we understand the distress and turmoil that follow a car accident. The immediate concerns of medical treatment and vehicle repair are often just the tip of the iceberg. New Jersey’s complex legal landscape makes it essential to have experienced guidance when navigating insurance claims, medical bills, and potential lawsuits. You may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, loss of income, and other damages, but without a seasoned car accident lawyer by your side, you risk missing out on the full scope of what you’re owed. Leveraging legal expertise immediately after an accident not only elevates your chances for a fair settlement but also provides you peace of mind, allowing you to focus on your recovery.

client signing their documents in a court room

When Should You Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident

The ideal time to hire an attorney after a car accident is as soon as possible, preferably within the first few days following the incident. Prompt legal guidance can make a significant difference in how your case unfolds. Evidence can quickly become compromised or disappear, witnesses may become difficult to track down, and critical filing deadlines could be missed. Additionally, insurance companies often aim to settle claims quickly and for as little money as possible, potentially taking advantage of your lack of legal expertise. By engaging an attorney early in the process, you ensure that your rights are protected, that all relevant evidence is preserved, and that you receive expert counsel in dealings with insurance companies or opposing parties. The sooner you secure legal representation, the better positioned you’ll be to achieve a favorable outcome.

How long does a car accident lawsuit take in NJ

The length of a car accident lawsuit in New Jersey can vary widely depending on the complexity of the case, the parties involved, and the court’s schedule, among other factors. Generally speaking, it could take anywhere from a few months to several years for a case to reach its conclusion. New Jersey follows a “no-fault” insurance system, which means that minor accidents often get resolved through insurance claims without the need for a lawsuit. However, in cases involving severe injuries, lawsuits may become necessary, and these can be time-consuming. Pre-trial procedures like discovery, negotiations between parties, and possible mediation can extend the timeline. Furthermore, if the case goes to trial, court proceedings themselves can take a considerable amount of time. It’s important to consult with an experienced attorney to get a more accurate estimate tailored to the specifics of your case.

What Are The Types of Car Accident Cases in New Jersey

Car accidents in New Jersey can take various forms, each with its own set of legal considerations. Below is a list of common types of car accident cases that occur in the state:

  • Rear-End Collisions: One of the most frequent types of accidents, usually involving one car striking another from behind. Liability often falls on the driver who rear-ended the other vehicle.
  • Head-On Collisions: Extremely dangerous and often fatal, these occur when two vehicles crash front-to-front.
  • T-Bone Accidents: These occur at intersections and involve one vehicle crashing into the side of another, forming a “T” shape.
  • Multi-Vehicle Pileups: Typically happening on busy highways or in adverse weather conditions, these involve multiple vehicles and can be legally complex due to the number of parties involved.
  • Sideswipe Accidents: Occur when two parallel cars collide, often because one or both veer out of their respective lanes.
  • Hit and Run: Cases where one driver leaves the scene without providing contact information or assistance to the other party involved.
  • Vehicle Rollover: Usually a single-vehicle accident, often caused by sharp turns at high speeds or collisions with obstacles like guardrails.
  • Accidents Involving Pedestrians: These involve a vehicle striking a person walking on the road or sidewalk.
  • Bicycle Accidents: Situations where a motor vehicle collides with a cyclist, often at intersections or in designated bike lanes.
  • Motorcycle Accidents: Involve a collision between a car and a motorcycle, often resulting in severe injuries to the motorcyclist.
  • Commercial Vehicle Accidents: These involve vehicles used for business purposes, like trucks or vans, and may entail different liability and insurance requirements.
  • Uber/Lyft Accidents: Special cases involving ride-sharing services, which have their own set of insurance and liability complexities.
  • DUI/DWI Accidents: Involving a driver who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, these cases often result in criminal charges in addition to civil liability.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accidents: Cases where the at-fault driver does not have sufficient insurance coverage, complicating compensation claims.
  • Construction Zone Accidents: Accidents that occur in designated construction areas, often involving additional penalties and complexities due to the presence of construction workers and altered road conditions.

Understanding the specific type of car accident you’ve been involved in can help tailor your legal strategy, so consulting with an experienced attorney is advised.


How long does it take to get a settlement?

The time it takes to secure a settlement in a car accident case varies depending on numerous factors, such as the complexity of the case, the willingness of parties to negotiate, and the backlog of the legal system. In straightforward cases with clear liability and well-documented injuries, a settlement could be reached within a few months. However, for more complicated scenarios, such as those involving severe injuries, multiple parties, or disputed liability, the process can stretch on for a year or even longer. Insurance companies often engage in lengthy negotiations to minimize payouts, and sometimes a settlement is only reached on the eve of a trial. It’s crucial to consult an experienced attorney for a tailored estimate and to navigate the intricacies of the settlement process effectively.

Can you sue for a car accident in NJ?

Yes, you can sue for a car accident in New Jersey, but the state’s “no-fault” insurance system does impose certain limitations. Under this system, you generally file a claim with your own insurance company for medical expenses and other out-of-pocket costs, regardless of who was at fault. However, you can step outside of this no-fault system and file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver if you meet certain thresholds. Specifically, if you’ve sustained “serious” injuries that result in significant medical expenses, permanent injury, or significant disfigurement or scarring, you may be eligible to pursue a claim for additional damages like pain and suffering. Due to the complexities of New Jersey’s car accident laws, consulting with an experienced attorney is highly recommended to assess the viability of your case.

What to do if someone sues you for a car accident in NJ?

If you find yourself being sued for a car accident in New Jersey, it’s crucial to take immediate action to protect your interests. First and foremost, do not ignore the lawsuit; failing to respond could result in a default judgment against you. Contact your insurance company as soon as you receive the lawsuit papers, as they may provide legal representation under the terms of your policy. Additionally, consult with an experienced attorney who specializes in car accident litigation. Your lawyer can guide you through the complexities of New Jersey’s legal system, help formulate a defense strategy, and represent you in court if necessary. Keep all documentation and evidence related to the accident, as this will be crucial for building your defense. Remember, timely and informed action is your best recourse when facing a lawsuit.

Do you need a police report to file an insurance claim in NJ?

In New Jersey, a police report is not strictly required to file an insurance claim for a car accident, but it is highly recommended. A police report serves as an official record of the incident and typically includes important details such as the names of the parties involved, witness accounts, and an initial assessment of fault. This document can provide valuable evidence when negotiating with insurance companies or if a legal dispute arises later. Some insurance companies may even require a police report, especially for accidents involving substantial damage or injury. Therefore, if you’re involved in a car accident in New Jersey, it’s advisable to contact the police and have a report filed to bolster your insurance claim and protect your interests.

How Do You Pursue Compensation After a New Jersey Car Accident?

Pursuing compensation after a car accident in New Jersey often starts with filing a claim with your own insurance company, thanks to the state’s no-fault insurance system. This covers your medical expenses and other out-of-pocket costs up to the limits of your policy. However, if your injuries are severe, exceed certain thresholds, or if another party is clearly at fault, you may step outside the no-fault system to file a claim against the other driver’s insurance or even initiate a lawsuit. Documentation is crucial in this process; gather all medical records, repair bills, and evidence like photographs or eyewitness accounts. An experienced car accident attorney can guide you through the complexities of New Jersey’s legal landscape, helping you navigate insurance negotiations and, if necessary, legal proceedings to ensure you receive the compensation you’re entitled to.

Why Choose the Law Offices of David A. DiBrigida for Your New Jersey Car Accident Case?

Navigating the aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming, fraught with legal intricacies, medical concerns, and financial burdens. When the stakes are this high, you can’t afford to go it alone. At the Law Offices of David A. DiBrigida, we offer unparalleled expertise in handling New Jersey car accident cases. Our seasoned professionals are adept at negotiating with insurance companies, collecting and preserving crucial evidence, and representing you in court, if necessary. We understand New Jersey’s unique “no-fault” system and the specific thresholds that allow for lawsuits, ensuring you’re positioned to receive the full compensation you’re entitled to. With a track record of successful settlements and satisfied clients, entrusting your case to us means giving yourself the best possible chance for a favorable outcome. Don’t leave your future to chance; secure your peace of mind by hiring the experts.


Law Offices of David A. DiBrigida, New Jersey Car Accident Lawyer

101 Eisenhower Pkwy #100, Roseland, NJ 07068

Call Our experienced NJ Auto Accident Injury Attorney

David A. DiBrigida handles auto accident injury cases in New Jersey. He will evaluate the factors contributing to the value of your damages and personally handle your case from start to finish.  If you have been injured in an auto accident, you need a New Jersey car crash lawyer who understands and is knowledgeable about your rights as an auto accident injury victim.  To protect your legal rights, call David today at 800-322-5529 for a FREE consultation.